ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 76-79

Difficult weaning from mechanical ventilation in the pediatric ICU


Department of Pediatrics, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Mohamed Abdo
MD, Department of Pediatrics, Zagazig University, Gezeret Alsaada post office, Sharkia governerate, Zagazig
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1687-7934.128423

Rights and Permissions

Background Respiratory disorders are the main cause of respiratory failure in children. Insufficient alveolar ventilation results in hypoxemia and hypercapnia, which contribute to further depression of ventilation, resulting in respiratory failure. Although most patients wean from mechanical ventilation with little difficulty, some patients are unable to maintain sustained efforts of breathing for long periods and develop signs of fatigue. A failed weaning is defined as either the failure of spontaneous breathing trial or the need for reintubation within 48 h after extubation. Objective This study was undertaken to identify the causes of difficult weaning from mechanical ventilation and predict the variables responsible for this difficulty. Participants and methods A prospective study was performed on 100 children, comprising 59 boys and 41 girls. Their ages ranged between 2 months and 10 years. All the children were subjected to a detailed medical history taking, clinical examination, and laboratory investigations (complete blood count, serum electrolytes, and arterial blood gas). Patients were selected to participate in this study on the basis of the inclusion and exclusion criteria. Statistical analysis The Mann-Whitney U-test and the χ2 -test were used for statistical analysis. Results Among the 100 studied patients, 86 (86%) succeeded in being weaned from mechanical ventilation, whereas the remaining 14 patients (14%) failed to wean. This group included nine children who experienced difficulty in weaning and five children with prolonged weaning. Patients who were successfully weaned spent statistically less time on mechanical ventilation, had lower PaCO 2 , and lower bicarbonate level compared with patients who failed to wean (P = 0.002, 0.001, 0.04, respectively). There was no association between clinical diagnosis, hematological parameters, serum electrolytes, and weaning success. Conclusion We conclude that patients who were successfully weaned were statistically older, spent less time on mechanical ventilation, had lower PaCO 2 and FiO 2 , and lower bicarbonate level compared with those who failed to be weaned. We did not find a significant relation between the clinical diagnosis, hematological parameters, serum electrolytes, and weaning success.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3867    
    Printed63    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded372    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal